Philadelphia's mayor is proposing a 2cent per ounce tax on sweetened drinks to fill their budget gap and combat obesity. Think on it. That's 32 cents for a 16 ounce soda. Almost a dollar and a half for a 2-liter bottle. Yikes. And it applies to all drinks that have sugar added - not just soda. Sports drinks, chocolate milk... Yet they don't want to tax artifically sweetened drinks? Give me a break. I think artificial sweeteners are worse for us than sugar.
Did you know that Chicago already has this kind of tax? I didn't until just now. I wonder if anyone has actually studied what impact that has had on obesity & spending on beverages. Their tax includes artificially sweetened drinks as well.
If this spreads (and you know it will) they're going to start taxing anything considered not healthy. Watch out. The power of the dollar is going to buy even less. :(
1 comment:
It's $1.99 for a 2L bottle of pop here, plus GST.. soon to be HST - so not 5% but 13% tax on top of the $1.99.
Post a Comment