Monday, February 28, 2011

Breakitis

Or, When To Use Force (And When Not To!)

I think VW car designers and engineers must make too much money. Seriously. To them it must not mean much to have to take their car in and pay someone $30-50 to change the headlight. If it did, they wouldn't have placed the battery right behind the access to the front driver headlight.

Sheesh. I have small hands and that was tough. Naturally, I used too much force pulling the first cover off and broke off a little protruding piece of plastic. Turns out that was the guide for putting the cover back correctly. Oops. The tricky part was manouvering the cover out without harming the battery wire, and then getting the second cover off, bulb out, replaced, and back in. The back in part was awful. That's the part where I actually screamed in frustration. Could not get it anchored and that stupid locking ring fastened.

Wanna know why? I wasn't using enough force. Sigh. Once I got frustrated and shoved that thing in there it stuck like a charm. Naturally. [rolling my eyes] Then of course I couldn't get the cover back in. Because I broke the guide off. Pffffttt. Finally figured that out.

But I got it changed. Myself. And saved about $50. It only cost forty minutes of my time and some frustration. Hooray for me.

No comments: