Sitrep: 30 mins Lawn
I'm listening to an older J.D. Robb story in the car, one I've already read before. This one, Betrayal, I think, has a theme of friendship in it. I love the scenes with Eve & Peabody, and Eve & Mavis. Then there's the friend pairing in this one of Roarke & an old friend from his past, the FBI agent & her friend. It's all about friendship. I laugh a lot at Eve's reluctance to get involved in her friend's lives on more than just a peripheral basis. (Can I say that??? Or is that bad grammar?) I'm such a loner I go through the same squirming in my seat sometimes. Although I'm not nearly as bad as Eve. [g]
Maybe those strings of friendship and being involved in someone's life cost, but as a whole, they're pretty cheap when you think about it. In most cases anyway. For without friends, my world would be much lonelier place. And loneliness is much different than being alone. :) The grins and giggles of friendship and the ludicrous things we do for our friends make life a heck of a lot funner.
I remember a few years back, when I had to work long days at our annual convention. That year it was held in the town I live in, so no traveling. (Yippee!). I knew I'd be home several hours late, so asked a friend (one that falls in the category of "Peabody" and who lived next door at the time) to let my dog out after she got home from work. I got home around 8pm, exhausted, and walked into an empty house. After anxiously calling Scully a few times, I noticed a piece of paper on the kitchen table. All it said was this
Can you say my heart skipped a beat? [g] Now, I know I love my dog to no end, but she's just not that valuable. In fact, she's a spoiled rotten PITA and no way anyone's gonna kidnap her for ransom. So I picked up the phone and called my friend. The conversation went something like this:
Me: Umm, hey. Is my dog over there?
Friend: Yeah. I left you a note.
Me: You didn't sign it.
Friend: [after a few seconds, and through lots of laughter.] I have a glass of wine over here for you...[me rolling my eyes]
When she let Scully out, my dog and her dog were having fun playing, so she took them both to her house. Halfway home she thought she'd better leave me a note, so she ran back and scribbled one hastily on a scrap piece of paper without thinking about what she was saying. [g] We still laugh about it to this day. One of these days she's going to come home to a note pinned to her front door


No comments:
Post a Comment