Friday, June 20, 2008

Mayhem. Chaos. Is your work done yet?

Sitrep: Zip. This is embarrassing...

Apparently last night KT told her mom & step dad that she wants to join the National Guard. I wasn't there, but the 11pm phone call I got from my little sister would indicate that all hell broke loose. Not toward KT, but between Mom & Step dad. I'm not sure which one is for or against...apparently it was an ugly scene and my little was upset. They usually don't fight, and when they do, it's minor stuff. I'm thinking my little was supposed to have been in bed and they didn't realize she was awake. Knowing her, she probably was eavesdropping. Sigh. That's a bad habit we need to address. But I got her calmed down and off to bed. Sigh.

I'm not sure how I feel about KT wanting to join the National Guard. I knew she had something on her mind yesterday when I picked her up after dance practice. We had a quick bite at We.ndy's and then she went to the store with me on the way to her Mom's work. She was distracted, kinda downcast, and didn't want to talk about it. She's taken the S.AT and A.CT the last two weekends. I think it is hitting home to her that college is a year away, and she's worried about finances. She gets good grades, but isn't one of those honors AP students. I think she's freaking out about how to go to college, and is thinking the National Guard is a way to go. Does the Guard have the same educational opportunities as the military?

Normally, I'm all for the military. I'm an AF brat myself. But with Ir.aq and Af.ghanistan...I don't want her to do it. With just a high school degree, she'd be on the front lines, right? I know it's not 100% certain that she'd be called up, but let's face it. The Guard is deployed very heavily over there, and that includes the Montana units.

The armed services have been heavily recruiting her; the amount of stuff she gets in the mail is crazy. I don't remember ever getting that kind of mail in my junior/senior year. I guess it's just more proof of how things have changed.

I've been getting her tons of info on colleges and scholarships, and trying to get her to fill out the federal student aid forms. Maybe I'll see if I can sit down with her some weekend soon and do that. I doubt her mom will; she's not much of a planner, and definitely not in the financial area. But if it's something KT really wants to do, for whatever reasons...It sucks, big time. :( I guess I'm just like every other family member/friend out there...don't want their loved one in harm's way. I've been lucky - so far - that it's been fairly removed from me.

No comments: