Monday, June 30, 2008

Whose bright idea was this, anyway?

Goal: Daily Exercise (at least 15 minutes)
Sitrep: 1x Swimming (75 minutes)


Does anyone have a "I Survived My First Homeowner Disaster" t-shirt? Okay, maybe disaster is too strong a word. But Saturday morning when I was crouching under my dismantled bathroom sink and desperately trying to catch the water pouring out of the pipes, it sure felt like one!

The darn think has been draining slow and no amount of D.raino or bleach would clear it. Then it stopped draining period. So. I got something stronger, a big bottle of Rot.oroo.ter drain opener. Poured some in, waited, tried to flush with water. It foamed and bubbled and after a few hours the sink was empty. So I tried to brush my teeth and it backed up. Sigh. Poured the rest of the bottle down the drain. Or tried to, anyway. Let it sit overnight with no success. So Saturday morning I took the darn thing apart. I managed to fit the mop bucket underneath before pulling the pipes apart. Alas, I hadn't realized all the drain opener solution was pooled in the pipe and the trap. That combined with the now-released water made a heck of a foaming mess that overflowed the bucket rather quickly. I grabbed a towel to soak it up and prevent it from getting onto the nice hall flooring. Too bad it was a purple towel. Now it's purple with ugly yellowish splotches on it.

And after all that, the stupid pipes were clear. All the way from the sink down through the trap. Yet it wasn't draining. So I figured there had to be a clog in the part of the pipe coming from the wall and curving down to meet the trap. Only I couldn't see it. By this point it's been hours. So I put the sink back together, cleaned up and headed out to meet my little sis and her family as previously arranged. After dinner, I stopped and bought a plunger. Wouldn't you know it, that cleared the clog. For Pete's Sake!!! After hours of banging and shoving and crouching and pulled shoulder and leg muscles, a $3 plunger did the trick. [rolling eyes] It sure was easier when I had a landlord to call for issues like this!

Only now as I write this, I remember the loud popping/sucking noise when I used the plunger and am wondering if maybe I should go down in the basement and make sure I didn't rupture a pipe or something. Whimper. I hate going down there. There are spiders. ;)

2 comments:

Janet Webb said...

What's going on? Are you down the tubes with the spiders and the plunger? Update please!!!

Loved your comments on Charlie Mike: how did little Sister like the Rev?

And how is your summer garden going?

Up My Mind said...

Nope, the spiders didn't get me. I actually forgot to go down into the basement. Ooops. All must be well as no sounds of running water...Little Sis didn't use the Rev last week, instead she used the Fit Deck cards I got her last year, and walked outside, went swimming. So she had a good week. My garden is so-so...only have the chives, basil and tomatoes planted. Sigh. We went from winter weather to full summer weather seemingly over night. I'm going to plant the rest, hopefully tonight, but I doubt I'll get much out of them. But hey, it's my first container garden and we live and learn, right? :) I've been busy reading this weekend, I'll have to blog on that soon.